First Time Connection to your Series 1
Please keep these instructions open in a browser while you connect your Series 1 or Series 1 Pro. You will not have Internet access during this initial connection, so it's best to have the instructions open for reference.
Step 1: Power on your printer. Your printer will take about 3 to 5 minutes to start-up. Your Series 1 will create its own Wi-Fi network named "Series1-" followed by the 4 or 5 digit serial number located on the front of your printer. (Please be patient! Allow 3-5 minutes for the Wi-Fi network name to appear).
Step 2: From your computer, connect to the new network broadcast by your Series 1. You are now entering your printer's AP (Access Point) Mode.
Step 3: Take note of your Series 1's serial number, which is located on the front panel of your machine, to the left of the power button. Open a browser window and type in your printer's address, as follows:
Replace the Xs with your Series 1's serial number; do not include any leading zeros in the serial number.
Step 4: OctoPrint for Type A Machines, your printer's control software, will load in your browser window. Bookmark this address to quickly connect to your Series 1.
You are now connected via AP Mode, and can begin uploading files and 3D printing.
Want to get your PC back online? Continue with the steps below.
Connecting to your existing Wi-Fi Network
* In order to connect to your Series 1 via your existing Wi-Fi network, you must first connect via AP mode (above), then follow the steps below.
Step 1: Place your Series 1 in a location that receives a strong WiFi signal from your chosen network. For best results, place your Series 1 no further than 20 feet from your wireless router.
Step 2: In a browser window, open OctoPrint for Type A Machines by entering your printer's address. Click the Wireless icon on the upper right hand corner of OctoPrint. Select the network you wish to use.
Step 3: If a password is required, OctoPrint will prompt you to enter in the network key.
Your Series 1 is now connected via your network, and you should be back online! Your printer will be accessible anytime you're on this network at the address you used to during setup.
Series 1 not connecting? Try these steps next:
Connecting to AP mode:
- Confirm your printer is powered on, there will be an illumined ring around your power button.
- Did you wait 3 to 5 minutes for the printer to start-up and begin broadcasting its network? If not, give it a couple more minutes and then reopen your network viewer to check whether your Series 1 has begun broadcasting.
- Have you confirmed that you are connected to your Series 1's network?
- Have you confirmed that you entered your Series 1's address into the browser correctly? If you're not sure, contact tech support and make sure you tell us your serial number. We'll be able to generate the correct address for you.
- If you're sure your computer is connected to your Series 1's, and you're sure you've got the correct address typed into your browser, try restarting your Series 1 and then waiting 3-5 minutes for your Series 1 to broadcast its network again.
Connecting to your WiFi network:
- If you were able to connect via AP mode, but can't connect to your network, double check you've selected the correct network and entered the correct network key.
- Double check that the WiFi signal is strong enough for your Series 1, by locating your Printer as close as possible to the router. Then attempt to reconnect.
- Still no luck? To get printing as soon as possible try Method 1 to connect your Series 1. That way you can be printing while you contact tech support!