In addition to the Adaptive Auto-Leveling upgrade manual, which can be found below, here are some photo instructions for upgrading your machine to Adaptive Auto-Leveling.
Time: 30-45 minutes
Difficulty: Intermediate. Feel free to reach out to us for assistance!
Tools: 2mm hex key
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
1. Make sure your Series 1 Pro is powered off and unplugged before performing this upgrade.
2. This article contains hardware installation photos only. For information on the ENTIRE installation process, including firmware upgrade and sensor setup, read the instructional guide (attached below).
3. FlexPlate System is Required, or the sensor will not function. Learn more here.
1. Unscrew the bolts holding the front fan bracket, front fan, and fan duct together.
2. Unscrew the bolts attaching the fan bracket to the front clamp of the G2 Extruder.
3. Locate the Adaptive Auto-Leveling sensor and attach it to the G2 fan bracket. If it did not ship with the plastic connecting bracket installed, thread it into the piece, bolting it down as shown below. Do not over-tighten.
4. Reassemble in reverse order: Attach the fan bracket with the sensor installed to the front clamp of the G2 extruder, followed by the fan duct and fan itself to the fan bracket.
5. Turn your attention to the electronics tray of the machine. Unscrew the four bolts on the e-tray panel. Pictured below are the four bolts and one of the four corners to which they fasten.
6. Locate the jumper cable that came with the Adaptive Auto-Leveling upgrade. Next, locate the e-tray breakout board, located to the left of the RUMBA board, and attach the corresponding side of the jumper to the port labeled "AUX" as shown in the two photos below:
In the above photo, the jumper cable is connected closest to the center of the image, to the left of the two red/black stranded pairs. Below is the same connection from another angle. Note the "AUX" lettering:
7. Connect the other side of the jumper to the area marked "EXP3". The green cable faces closest to the edge.
Here's another angle:
8. Power on your Series 1, but don't close the E-tray cover yet. You'll need to put upgrade firmware to your new machine. The new firmware can be found on our downloads page.
The firmware upgrade is essential to the operation of the auto-leveling sensor. You may also need to perform calibration on the sensor. See the instructional guide for instructions on how to perform both actions.
When finished, your Series 1 Pro will be even easier to use than ever before, and you'll never need to level your bed again!